niedziela, 29 marca 2015

Arundhati Roy and "The God of Small Things"

Some time ago, during the lesson, we read a fragment of Arudhati Roy’s book, “The God of Small Things”. I liked it a lot and decided to search more information about Roy, who I had not know earlier, and her book.

First of all, the book is about two brothers’(twins) childhood. Behind that children’s story, Roy shows the discrimination of women in India and familial tragedies. The socio-political context is an important aspect of the book as well.

The title may sound a bit mysterious. According to Wikipedia, “The book is a description of how the small things in life affect people's behaviour and their lives.”

The interesting fact is that the book, published in 1997, is the first and the only one novel by Roy. it won Booker Prize and became a bestseller.


However, it was only a part of her career. Earlier, she had wrote the screenplays for her husband’s (who is a director) films. And  after “The God of Small Things”, she started to write essays on politics so that now she is known mainly  as a political activist involved in human rights and environmental issues.



4 komentarze:

  1. I appreaciate you writing a blog post about a book you've read. Have you considered creating an account on GoodReads.com? It's a great place to exchange your literary experience with other reades from all over the world. The site has an impressive database and they have a lot of books in Polish and French, too. Something to think about.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I know goodreads.com and I would love to dig into this site because whenever I go to the library, I never know what to choose.

    I've been looking for "God of small things" but I couldn't find it in any seconhand bookshop, but it's available on the Internet. I'll read it and one day I hope I'll find it somewhere so that I can put it on my bookshelf. I get the feeling that I'll enjoy the lecture very much :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Agnieszka, you should add me as a friend on GoodReads and on Lubimyczytac.pl. I put most of the books I've read on Lubimyczytac and I normally add a small note as a review for reference. While on GoodReads you can start up a conversation about a book in a thread and it's very convenient. Look for a Visenna (88) on the web, there's 80% it's going to be me :P

    OdpowiedzUsuń